We are being punished for our sins.
True, God, Who is ever merciful, seeks to chastise us in a number of ways each day of our lives in order to humble us to the point where we come to accept with equanimity the simple fact that we are sinners who must pay back the temporal debt for our forgiven Mortal Sins, for our Venial Sins and for our general attachment to our sins and to the world. Our souls must be purified to love God perfectly in this life as our First Cause and Last End as nothing impure can enter Heaven. It is a great mercy to do one’s Purgatory on earth, and God extends this mercy to us in many and varying ways during the course of our daily lives.
This is no way to discount the fact that souls who die in a state of Sanctifying Grace as members of the Catholic Church without satisfying the temporal debt for their forgiven sins go to Purgatory. Of course not. It is, though, to emphasize the fact that Our Blessed Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ wants us to accept suffering with equanimity, joy and gratitude as the means to make reparation for our sins as His consecrated slaves through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary and to so perfectly attached to the will of His Co-Equal and Co-Eternal God the Father as to have no other interest than that of being pleasing in the sight of the Most Blessed Trinity and ready at all times to make an accounting of our lives at the moment of our Particular Judgment.
The situation we face in the world today is the result of the sins of men, including yours and mine. Each of us bears responsibility for the state of the Church Militant in this time of apostasy and betrayal and for the state of the world around us, collapsing as it is into the abyss of pure insanity. It is sometimes easy to forget the responsibility we bear for our sins. It is far, far easier to become agitated by the state of the world around us and to rend our garments when we should be taking a good, hard look into our souls each night to examine our consciences with thoroughness.
God’s gratuitous grace has made it possible for us to see the world clearly through the eyes of true Faith. It is thus a terrible sin against God to throw this grace away and to rush headlong into the agitation caused by the inevitable collapse of a world built on one false naturalistic and heretical premise after another. It is even more tragic to become hostile to supernatural truths in order to place one’s hope in men who do not even that they have sinned, no less the gravity of their sins, and thus are ill-equipped to recognize that all of the problems of the world, bar none, are caused by Original Sin and our own Actual Sins. Problems within and among nations can be ameliorated only by the reform of individual lives, and those who do not recognize that this is so can never serve as instruments of any kind of authentic restoration of social order,
Indeed, those who do not view themselves and the world around them throughout the supernatural eyes of the true Faith cannot even do much on the natural level to address pressing social problems as the logic of sentimentality and irrationality is such that various social evils become institutionalized and thus accepted over the course of time once they have been introduced by means of executive fiats, legislative acts, judicial decisions or popular referenda. There is no the Humpty Dumpty that is the modern civil state back together again.
The adversary knows that this is so, which is why he emboldens such miscreants as Barack Hussein Obama/Barry Soetoro to use the opportunities presented to them to act decisively to advance his agenda of social chaos. Unlike the weak sisters of the organized crime family of the false opposite of the naturalist “right,” whose knees buckle, lips quiver and hearts palpitate irregularly when face with those “nasty” “moral issues, statists of the “leftist” variety have no qualms to impose their agenda of evil upon entire countries while condemning anyone who dissents from their power grabs and social engineering as being bigoted and hateful.
As has been well-established on this site, Barack Hussein Obama/Barry Soetoro has no regard for the laws of God or the just laws of men. He believes himself to be a law unto himself. He also has no regard for the national sovereignty or security of the United States of America. His has been an administration of “transformation” just as much as Jorge Mario Bergoglio has sought to remove all vestiges of anything recognizably Catholic in his own false religious sect. Obama/Soetoro believes in the Novus Ordo Seculorum, which happens to be imprinted on the American one dollar bill. Bergoglio believes in the One World Ecumenical Church. Both men hate the past. Obama/Soetoro hates all American history prior to his election; Bergoglio hates the history of the Catholic Church prior to the dawning of the age of conciliarism on October 28, 1958.
It is interesting to note that both Obama/Soetoro and Bergoglio have taken the measure of their hapless opponents, knowing that whatever rhetorical opposition they face is simply that, rhetorical opposition. Nothing else. This empowers both men to act in decisive ways to take full advantage of the decadence that brought then to power in the first place. Obama/Soetoro knows that no future president is going to roll back his various executive orders and presidential directives and administrative fiats. Bergoglio knows that his own transformational revolution is similar irreversible.
Thus it is that Obama/Soetoro’s constant ignoring of the provisions of the Constitution of the United States of America and rewriting of the various Congressional laws and expansive use of administrative rulings have become increasingly bolder as most of what he has done in the past has been accomplished without much in the way of effective Congressional opposition. A good deal of what he has sought to accomplish, especially with ObamaCare and “gay marriage,” has been ratified with the help of the Supreme Court of the United States of America. Chief Justice John Glover Roberts, an appointee of President George Walker Bush, has twice helped to sustain the unconstitutional and illegally passed Affordable Care and Patient Protection Act, and Associate Justice Anthony McLeod Kennedy has twice voted to help those steeped in unrepentant sins of perversity, most recently in Obergefell v. Hodges, June 26, 2015, after having done so in Hollingsworth v. Perry and United States v. Windsor.
Who is now going to oppose the “guidelines” issued by United States Secretary of Education by John King mandating that all public schools desiring to receive Federal educational aid monies to make their lavatory facilities open to boys/men and girls/women on the basis of individual choice, not on the basis of the sign on the door saying “Boys” or “Girls”?
No, never mind the fact that there is no basis in Congressional law for these coercive, extortionary “guidelines.”
No, never mind the fact that there is no concern at all for the safety, security and moral well-being of the innocent children who are already victimized by the brainwashing that takes place in “public schools.”
All that matters is the pursuit of an ideological agenda to advance unspeakably insane evils that can never be stopped by means mere natural.
Parents will protest these “guidelines.” Lawsuits, some brought by states, including the State of Texas, will be brought. Blabbermouths will blabber on indefinitely to spew their naturalist-based ignorance of the root causes of these “guidelines” and how to stop them. Fund-raising letters will be dispatched by all manner of organizations seeking to exploit this controversy caused the failures of the past to provide any effective measure to advance the spread of one evil after another, up to and including the chemical and surgical execution of the innocent preborn, which has become an institutionalized evil over the course of nearly fifty years here in the United States of America.
In the end, however, Education Secretary John King’s “guidelines” will be accepted by many school districts in the nation, especially in the Northeast and California. Another part of the adversary’s plan to advance perverse evils will become institutionalized.
The situation we face is doubly diabolical in that the presumptive presidential nominee of the Republican Party, Donald John Trump, a man whose entire life has been about the pursuit of sinful desires, does not understand the horror of sin on any kind of level. He doesn’t even think in the terms of the simple physical safety of boys and girls who are forced to share bathroom facilities with members of the opposite sex who claim to be one of them even though they are not. He doesn’t even see that there is any kind of problem with men claiming to be women or women claiming to men. He does not believe that it is a grave offense to God to have one’s body surgically mutilated to achieve a moral impossibility: to “change” one’s gender.
Trump could not even offer an “opinion” about the Obama/Soetoro administration’s unconstitutional and illegal exercise in social engineering when asked about it on Friday, May 13, 2016, the Feast of Saint Robert Bellarmine and the ninety-ninth anniversary of Our Lady’s first apparition to Jacinta and Francisco Marto and their cousin Lucia dos Santos in the Cova da Iria near Fatima, Portugal:
Donald Trump on Friday declined to criticize the Obama administration's directive to public schools that transgender people be allowed to use the restrooms that match their gender identity.
The presumptive GOP presidential nominee said he's always felt it should be left to states to decide on the issue, amid continued debate and legal battle over a law in North Carolina.
I believe it should be states' rights and I think the states should make the decision, they're more capable of making the decision," Trump said on ABC's "Good Morning America."
Asked directly if he was against the administration's directive, Trump responded, "I just think it should be states' rights. I think many things actually should be states' rights, but this is a perfect example of it."
Trump echoed that sentiment on NBC's "Today" show when asked if he agreed with the directive, as well as on "Fox and Friends" after a co-host mentioned that schools that don't comply with the guidance could lose federal funding and face lawsuits, according to a letter issued to public schools across the country Friday.
“I think this should be a states' issue. It's become a huge story and yet it affects — and everybody has to be protected, if it's one person — but it's a tiny, tiny portion of the population, and it's become a massive story," Trump said. "I think there should be a states' issue."
Trump shied away from entering the debate itself. Asked if he thought boys should use the bathroom corresponding to their birth gender, the New York billionaire responded, "It's a new issue. Right now I just don't have an opinion. But what I would like to do is I would like to see the states make that decision."
The guidance from the Obama administration on Friday comes amid a court battle between the Justice Department and North Carolina over the state's law mandating people use restrooms that correspond to their biological sex as listed on their birth certificate.
Trump weighed in on the issue last month, saying North Carolina unnecessarily mandated what restrooms transgender people use and that he'd allow transgender people to use whatever bathroom they want. (Trump Says Leave "Transgender" Issue to the States.)
Although the Obama/Soetoro administration certainly has overstepped the bounds of Federal-State relations in this area as it has with so many others before, readers of this website should know by now that this is not a matter for any human being to “decide,” whether acting on his own or collectively in the institutions of civil governance at any level (state, local, provincial, national). Not to have an “opinion” on the insanity represented by putting the moral innocence and physical safety of children in jeopardy as a result of catering to the demands of twisted, perverted souls who will never rest unless no one dares to call their depravity by its proper name is inexcusable, and I do not care what anyone who has lost his mind over Donald John Trump’s candidacy has to say.
We have not been baptized to bear witness to Donald John Trump or to any other naturalist, whether of the false opposite of the naturalist “left” or the false opposite of the naturalist “right.” We have been baptized to bear witness to Christ the King, Whose Sacred Rights are ignored by the modern civil state, which has plunged itself into the abyss over the course of time as a result.
The advance of the so-called “LGBT” agenda has been no kind of secret, and Donald John Trump lived in the City of New York at a time when former Schools Chancellor Joseph Fernandez was pushing his “Rainbow Curriculum” twenty-six years ago, and it was only five years ago that then Mayor Michael Rubens Bloomberg, the nanny state fascist and self-described “billionaire playboy,” imposed his own version of indoctrinating students in the ways of perversity.
Donald John Trump was a prominent resident of the City of New York in the early-1990s when members of the New York City Board of Education held hearings on Fernandez's proposal to propagandize in behalf of his corruption of the innocence and purity of children. As one who has lived his entire life in the pursuit and/or public celebration (by means of “beauty contests”) of that which is in violation of the virtue of Holy Purity, Donald John Trump did not believe that Joseph Fernandez’s various schemes to indoctrinate children in the ways of indecency and impurity was in any way wrong, which is why he has no “opinion” now about whether providing access to a women’s bathroom by a biological male (or to a men’s bathroom by a biological woman). (Please see Appendix B below for a review of the Fernandez and Bloomberg plans to promote indecency.)
Look, Barack Hussein Obama/Barry Soetoro has a set of beliefs. Those beliefs are evil. Granted. However, he has a set of beliefs and he acts of them in a decisive manner. He brooks no opposition and is willing to bend, twist and actually break every law prohibiting his conduct to accomplish his goals. He is a bare-knuckled Chicago politician enhanced by the use of the sort of Communist-style thuggery he learned from Frank Marshall Davis and the disciples of the late Saul Alinsky. He is making the most of his last year in office, and he is complete unapologetic for anything that he has done.
The Republican Party’s presumptive nominee, on the hand, Donald John Trump, believes in nothing other than “make America great again,” an empty slogan which I have refuted several times recently. Trump has said that “everything is negotiable,” and this means that he hath no understanding of the concept of truth even on a purely philosophical level.
This is very sad as those who believe that a “President Trump” would do anything to thwart the advance of moral evil in this country is badly deceived. A Trump presidency would be different than that of the wretched, corrupt and contemptuous statist named Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton on some matters. Ultimately, though, the advance of moral evil would continue. The only difference in a Trump administration would be that many of the very voices who are rightly outraged by Obama/Soetoro’s constant constitutional overreach will be muted for fear of angering the naturalist in whom they pinned their hopes. Such is the diabolical trap in which we find ourselves. No country can be made “great again” by those who do the adversary’s bidding for him by advancing or remaining indifferent to evil.
Anyone who thinks that the election of Donald John Trump is going to at least put the “brakes” on the insane perversity that has been advanced by the fascism of the homosexual collective is mistaken. Badly mistaken. This is especially the case as the illogic of sentimentality is such that many legislators will seek to personalize the issue of “bathroom access” as “nuanced” because it involves their own family members. Witness the case of a pro-life members of the United States House of Representatives, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a native-born Cuban and a bpatized Catholic who apostatized to become an Episcopalian, and her son, Rodrigo Heng-Lehtinen, a "transgender rights activist," who believes himself to be a woman even though he is a man:
MIAMI — The day Rodrigo Heng-Lehtinen told his prominent parents about his new gender identity, he did so in a letter that he left on their bed. Then he grabbed a packed bag and, unsure of whether he would be welcomed back, went to a friend’s house to see if his family would love him or leave him.
His shocked parents, Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a Miami Republican, and Dexter Lehtinen, who served as the top federal prosecutor here, did not hesitate. They grabbed the phone and told him that they loved him and that family trumped all, and asked him to come home. But as with many parents of transgender children, they were also overwhelmed by fear: The future they saw for their then 21-year-old, whom they had named Amanda, would be pockmarked with discrimination and bullying, if not outright violence.
It was this visceral reaction to want to protect her child that drove Ms. Ros-Lehtinen to break from her party’s skepticism or hostility on gay and transgender issues — a stance evident now in North Carolina’s battle over transgender bathroom visits — and become a conspicuous advocate in Congress and more recently in public service announcements. On Monday, Ms. Ros-Lehtinen, her husband and her son, now 30, will appear in the latest one for SAVE, a longtime South Florida gay rights group that hopes to engage the Latino community here.
“I worried about his safety and about his well-being,” Ms. Ros-Lehtinen said, noting that inflammatory debates like the one about school bathrooms serve to further alienate transgender youths and subject them to more bullying and animosity. “I didn’t want him to be depressed. You think of all the parade of horribles that could happen.”
There is ample evidence that many transgender people continue to be rejected by their families, employers and society, a situation that is beginning to change as the transgender movement becomes more visible and better organized. And while Ms. Ros-Lehtinen profoundly disagrees with President Obama on a number of issues, especially on his approach to Cuba, she agreed with his administration’s directive Friday telling school districts to allow students to use the school facilities that match the sex they identify with, even if that conflicts with their anatomical sex.
“Allowing students to use the bathroom of their authentic selves is a step forward in stopping the stigma around transgender individuals,” said Ms. Ros-Lehtinen, 63, the first Hispanic woman elected to Congress. “Unnecessary laws only make transgender youth feel unaccepted, and can lead to depression or even worse, suicide.” (Pro-Life Congresswoman Has Personal Stake in Transgender Issue.)
Our gender is defeind by God, Congresswoman Ros-Lehtinen, not by our so-called "authentic selves." Your logic is as false your false religion, which is the American branch of the false religious sect created by the lustful, lecherous, adulterous and bigamous drunkard and glutton King Henry VIII, who desired to marry his mistress, Anne Boleyn even though he was validly married to his wife, Queen Katharine of Aragon, the daughter of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain. True love of one's child is to will his good, the ultimate expression of which is the salvation of his immortal soul as a member of the Catholic Church. To indemnify one's child in a falsehood is to render even judgment down on the soul of a parent, who must love God as He has revealed Himself to us exclusively through His true Church before any and all creatures, who must be loved for love of God and as He loves them.
What is very tragic is that Jorge Mario Bergoglio believes the same thing. How is it possible to withstand the pull of emotionalism when the supposed "pope" is in full agreement with the adversary's full agenda.
Sadly, this whole issue represents the sort sentimental sap that appeals to the shallow mind of Donald John Trump and to many, many others in the Republican Party. After all, absent the true Faith, my few good readers, insanity must prevail, and it has been insanity in this country from its very beginning two hundred forty years ago. A President Trump would give Ileana Ros-Lehtinen a very sympathetic ear. Very sympathetic.
Then again, insanity must be the only outcome in a world gone mad as result of the Protestant Revolution’s overthrow of the Social Reign of Christ the King that had to give way in its own turn to the naturalism of Judeo-Masonry and all of its interrelated forces.
This is a point that Pope Leo XIII made in Diuturnum Illud, June 29, 1881:
23. On the other hand, the doctrines on political power invented by late writers have already produced great ills amongst men, and it is to be feared that they will cause the very greatest disasters to posterity. For an unwillingness to attribute the right of ruling to God, as its Author, is not less than a willingness to blot out the greatest splendor of political power and to destroy its force. And they who say that this power depends on the will of the people err in opinion first of all; then they place authority on too weak and unstable a foundation. For the popular passions, incited and goaded on by these opinions, will break out more insolently; and, with great harm to the common weal, descend headlong by an easy and smooth road to revolts and to open sedition. In truth, sudden uprisings and the boldest rebellions immediately followed in Germany the so-called Reformation, the authors and leaders of which, by their new doctrines, attacked at the very foundation religious and civil authority; and this with so fearful an outburst of civil war and with such slaughter that there was scarcely any place free from tumult and bloodshed. From this heresy there arose in the last century a false philosophy -- a new right as it is called, and a popular authority, together with an unbridled license which many regard as the only true liberty. Hence we have reached the limit of horrors, to wit, communism, socialism, nihilism, hideous deformities of the civil society of men and almost its ruin. And yet too many attempt to enlarge the scope of these evils, and under the pretext of helping the multitude, already have fanned no small flames of misery. The things we thus mention are neither unknown nor very remote from us.
24. This, indeed, is all the graver because rulers, in the midst of such threatening dangers, have no remedies sufficient to restore discipline and tranquillity. They supply themselves with the power of laws, and think to coerce, by the severity of their punishment, those who disturb their governments. They are right to a certain extent, but yet should seriously consider that no power of punishment can be so great that it alone can preserve the State. For fear, as St. Thomas admirably teaches, "is a weak foundation; for those who are subdued by fear would, should an occasion arise in which they might hope for immunity, rise more eagerly against their rulers, in proportion to the previous extent of their restraint through fear." And besides, "from too great fear many fall into despair; and despair drives men to attempt boldly to gain what they desire." That these things are so we see from experience. It is therefore necessary to seek a higher and more reliable reason for obedience, and to say explicitly that legal severity cannot be efficacious unless men are led on by duty, and moved by the salutary fear of God. But this is what religion can best ask of them, religion which by its power enters into the souls and bends the very wills of men causing them not only to render obedience to their rulers, but also to show their affection and good will, which is in every society of men the best guardian of safety.
25. For this reason the Roman Pontiffs are to be regarded as having greatly served the public good, for they have ever endeavored to break the turbulent and restless spirit of innovators, and have often warned men of the danger they are to civil society. In this respect we may worthily recall to mind the declaration of Clement VII to Ferdinand, King of Bohemia and Hungary: "In the cause of faith your own dignity and advantage and that of other rulers is included, since the faith cannot be shaken without your authority being brought down; which has been most clearly shown in several instances." In the same way the supreme forethought and courage of Our predecessors have been shown, especially of Clement XI, Benedict XIV, and Leo XII, who, when in their day the evil of vicious doctrine was more widely spreading and the boldness of the sects was becoming greater, endeavored by their authority to close the door against them. And We Ourselves have several times declared what great dangers are impending, and have pointed out the best ways of warding them off. To princes and other rulers of the State we have offered the protection of religion, and we have exhorted the people to make abundant use of the great benefits which the Church supplies. Our present object is to make rulers understand that this protection, which is stronger than any, is again offered to them; and We earnestly exhort them in our Lord to defend religion, and to consult the interest of their Lord to defend religion, and to consult the interest of their States by giving that liberty to the Church which cannot be taken away without injury and ruin to the commonwealth. (Pope Leo XIII, Diuturnum Illud, June 29, 1881.)
Pope Pius XI explained in Mit Brenennder Sorge, March 17, 1937, which condemned the racialism and nationalism of Nazism, that nations can never sever morality from public policy, thereby echoing all that his own predecessors, including Popes Gregory XVI, Pius IX, Leo XIII and Saint Pius X, had taught in the previous century before his accession to the Throne of Saint Peter on 1922:
29. It is on faith in God, preserved pure and stainless, that man's morality is based. All efforts to remove from under morality and the moral order the granite foundation of faith and to substitute for it the shifting sands of human regulations, sooner or later lead these individuals or societies to moral degradation. The fool who has said in his heart "there is no God" goes straight to moral corruption (Psalms xiii. 1), and the number of these fools who today are out to sever morality from religion, is legion. They either do not see or refuse to see that the banishment of confessional Christianity, i.e., the clear and precise notion of Christianity, from teaching and education, from the organization of social and political life, spells spiritual spoliation and degradation. No coercive power of the State, no purely human ideal, however noble and lofty it be, will ever be able to make shift of the supreme and decisive impulses generated by faith in God and Christ. If the man, who is called to the hard sacrifice of his own ego to the common good, loses the support of the eternal and the divine, that comforting and consoling faith in a God who rewards all good and punishes all evil, then the result of the majority will be, not the acceptance, but the refusal of their duty. The conscientious observation of the ten commandments of God and the precepts of the Church (which are nothing but practical specifications of rules of the Gospels) is for every one an unrivaled school of personal discipline, moral education and formation of character, a school that is exacting, but not to excess. A merciful God, who as Legislator, says -- Thou must! -- also gives by His grace the power to will and to do. To let forces of moral formation of such efficacy lie fallow, or to exclude them positively from public education, would spell religious under-feeding of a nation. To hand over the moral law to man's subjective opinion, which changes with the times, instead of anchoring it in the holy will of the eternal God and His commandments, is to open wide every door to the forces of destruction. The resulting dereliction of the eternal principles of an objective morality, which educates conscience and ennobles every department and organization of life, is a sin against the destiny of a nation, a sin whose bitter fruit will poison future generations.
30. Such is the rush of present-day life that it severs from the divine foundation of Revelation, not only morality, but also the theoretical and practical rights. We are especially referring to what is called the natural law, written by the Creator's hand on the tablet of the heart (Rom. ii. 14) and which reason, not blinded by sin or passion, can easily read. It is in the light of the commands of this natural law, that all positive law, whoever be the lawgiver, can be gauged in its moral content, and hence, in the authority it wields over conscience. Human laws in flagrant contradiction with the natural law are vitiated with a taint which no force, no power can mend. In the light of this principle one must judge the axiom, that "right is common utility," a proposition which may be given a correct significance, it means that what is morally indefensible, can never contribute to the good of the people. But ancient paganism acknowledged that the axiom, to be entirely true, must be reversed and be made to say: "Nothing can be useful, if it is not at the same time morally good" (Cicero, De Off. ii. 30). Emancipated from this oral rule, the principle would in international law carry a perpetual state of war between nations; for it ignores in national life, by confusion of right and utility, the basic fact that man as a person possesses rights he holds from God, and which any collectivity must protect against denial, suppression or neglect. To overlook this truth is to forget that the real common good ultimately takes its measure from man's nature, which balances personal rights and social obligations, and from the purpose of society, established for the benefit of human nature. Society, was intended by the Creator for the full development of individual possibilities, and for the social benefits, which by a give and take process, every one can claim for his own sake and that of others. Higher and more general values, which collectivity alone can provide, also derive from the Creator for the good of man, and for the full development, natural and supernatural, and the realization of his perfection. To neglect this order is to shake the pillars on which society rests, and to compromise social tranquillity, security and existence. (Pope Pius XI, Mit Brennender Sorge, March 17, 1937.)
This describes both Nazi Germany in 1937 and it describes the world in which we live at this time, including here in the United States of America, and those who are convinced that an election is stop the descent of this country further into the abyss ought to reckon once again with the words of the pagan Cicero as quoted by Pope Pius XI: "Nothing can be useful, if it is not at the same time morally good." The insanity of access to bathrooms on the basis of what one thinks himself to be rather than what he is is neither useful nor morally good, and for Donald John Trump to think that this is a matter of "states' rights" is to prove yet again than he does not understand what Cicero, a pagan philosopher, understood so very clearly.
Pope Pius XI also noted that the only way that societies can be reform is for men to reform their lives as members of the Catholic Church:
18. Faith in Christ cannot maintain itself pure and unalloyed without the support of faith in the Church, "the pillar and ground of the truth" (1 Tim. iii. 15); for Christ Himself, God eternally blessed, raised this pillar of the Faith. His command tO hear the Church (Matt. xviii. 15), to welcome in the words and commands of the Church His own words and His own commands (Luke x. 16), is addressed to all men, of all times and of all countries. The Church founded by the Redeemer is one, the same for all races and all nations. Beneath her dome, as beneath the vault of heaven, there is but one country for all nations and tongues; there is room for the development of every quality, advantage, task and vocation which God the Creator and Savior has allotted to individuals as well as to ethnical communities. The Church's maternal heart is big enough to see in the God-appointed development of individual characteristics and gifts, more than a mere danger of divergency. She rejoices at the spiritual superiorities among individuals and nations. In their successes she sees with maternal joy and pride fruits of education and progress, which she can only bless and encourage, whenever she can conscientiously do so. But she also knows that to this freedom limits have been set by the majesty of the divine command, which founded that Church one and indivisible. Whoever tampers with that unity and that indivisibility wrenches from the Spouse of Christ one of the diadems with which God Himself crowned her; he subjects a divine structure, which stands on eternal foundations, to criticism and transformation by architects whom the Father of Heaven never authorized to interfere.
19. The Church, whose work lies among men and operates through men, may see her divine mission obscured by human, too human, combination, persistently growing and developing like the cockle among the wheat of the Kingdom of God. Those who know the Savior's words on scandal and the giver of scandals, know, too, the judgment which the Church and all her sons must pronounce on what was and what is sin. But if, besides these reprehensible discrepancies be between faith and life, acts and words, exterior conduct and interior feelings, however numerous they be, anyone overlooks the overwhelming sum of authentic virtues, of spirit of sacrifice, fraternal love, heroic efforts of sanctity, he gives evidence of deplorable blindness and injustice. If later he forgets to apply the standard of severity, by which he measures the Church he hates, to other organizations in which he happens to be interested, then his appeal to an offended sense of purity identifies him with those who, for seeing the mote in their brother's eye, according to the Savior's incisive words, cannot see the beam in their own. But however suspicious the intention of those who make it their task, nay their vile profession, to scrutinize what is human in the Church, and although the priestly powers conferred by God are independent of the priest's human value, it yet remains true that at no moment of history, no individual, in no organization can dispense himself from the duty of loyally examining his conscience, of mercilessly purifying himself, and energetically renewing himself in spirit and in action. In Our Encyclical on the priesthood We have urged attention to the sacred duty of all those who belong to the Church, chiefly the members of the priestly and religious profession and of the lay apostolate, to square their faith and their conduct with the claims of the law of God and of the Church. And today we again repeat with all the insistency We can command: it is not enough to be a member of the Church of Christ, one needs to be a living member, in spirit and in truth, i.e., living in the state of grace and in the presence of God, either in innocence or in sincere repentance. If the Apostle of the nations, the vase of election, chastised his body and brought it into subjection: lest perhaps, when he had preached to others, he himself should become a castaway (1 Cor. ix. 27), could anybody responsible for the extension of the Kingdom of God claim any other method but personal sanctification? Only thus can we show to the present generation, and to the critics of the Church that "the salt of the earth," the leaven of Christianity has not decayed, but is ready to give the men of today -- prisoners of doubt and error, victims of indifference, tired of their Faith and straying from God -- the spiritual renewal they so much need. A Christianity which keeps a grip on itself, refuses every compromise with the world, takes the commands of God and the Church seriously, preserves its love of God and of men in all its freshness, such a Christianity can be, and will be, a model and a guide to a world which is sick to death and clamors for directions, unless it be condemned to a catastrophe that would baffle the imagination.
20. Every true and lasting reform has ultimately sprung from the sanctity of men who were driven by the love of God and of men. Generous, ready to stand to attention to any call from God, yet confident in themselves because confident in their vocation, they grew to the size of beacons and reformers. On the other hand, any reformatory zeal, which instead of springing from personal purity, flashes out of passion, has produced unrest instead of light, destruction instead of construction, and more than once set up evils worse than those it was out to remedy. No doubt "the Spirit breatheth where he will" (John iii. 8): "of stones He is able to raise men to prepare the way to his designs" (Matt. iii. 9). He chooses the instruments of His will according to His own plans, not those of men. But the Founder of the Church, who breathed her into existence at Pentecost, cannot disown the foundations as He laid them. Whoever is moved by the spirit of God, spontaneously adopts both outwardly and inwardly, the true attitude toward the Church, this sacred fruit from the tree of the cross, this gift from the Spirit of God, bestowed on Pentecost day to an erratic world. (Pope Pius XI, Mit Brennender Sorge, March 17, 1937.)
The voice of a true Successor of Saint Peter has been silent since the death of Pope Pius XII on October 9, 1958, the news of which I remember quite vividly when it was conveyed to us at Saint Aloysius School in Great Neck, New York. We know now that the Holy Father’s last words were:
"Pray," he said. "Pray that this regrettable situation for the church may end." (See Newspaper Articles on the Death of Pope Pius XII.)
We have lacked the voice of the Chief Shepherd to guide the Barque of Peter and to denounce the errors of the day, to call madness by its proper name.
In the place of the voice of a true and legitimate Successor of Saint Peter we have had antipopes who have made their accommodation with the world and its institutions based upon the power of men, not of Christ the King. The latest in the line of conciliar antipopes has brought the conciliar revolution to its ultimate consequences, resulting in a total acquiescence to the bizarre and the immoral in the name of “mercy” and “reaching out to the existential peripheries.”
“Pope Francis” does not denounce any true moral evil as such. He has remained silent in the face of advance of abortion, euthanasia, and “gay marriage.” Indeed, he has gone out of his way to signal his support for pro-abortion civic officials and for those responsible for advancing the surgical execution of the innocent preborn in their own countries, including Italy.
The Argentine Apostate cares about protecting the “rights” of those seeking to violate the just laws of nations by crossing borders illegally and protecting the “environment,” to say nothing of how he has met privately with Catholics living “irregularly” and those steeped in perversity or who have had their bodies chemically and surgically mutilated in the belief that this changes their gender before the God Who created them and to Whom they must answer at the moment of their Particular Judgment.
Why should Barack Hussein Obama/Barry Soetoro, Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton or Donald John Trump have any kind of moral compass when what is thought to be the Catholic Church is headed by a man who does not believe in the Catholic Faith and thus gives voice to every error imaginable.
As noted at the beginning of this commentary, this is time of profound chastisement, which means that this is a time of profound suffering. This no “quick fix” to prevent our situation from getting worse as the forces we are fighting are those of principalities and powers. Those such as Obama/Soetoro, the Clintons and others who advance evils, including Bergoglio, of course, are simply doing the bidding of the evil forces inspiring them. They are forgettable figures of history, minions of the prince of darkness and the master of lies.
Those who want to believe otherwise are free to do so, although most of those who believe that the farce of naturalism is going to “save” the United States of America are not reading these articles!
This is not a call for inaction or unconcern in the midst of the dangers that surround us. Not at all.
This is, though, a reminder that all of the agitation of the moment does not come from God, Who wants us to combat evil with the tools of supernatural combat, and to surrender to the agitation is to disturb the peace of Christ the King, the Prince of Peace, that must abide in our souls at all times.
We halfway through the month of May, the month of Our Lady, and it is her that we must turn in these troubling times to console the good God and to make reparation for the sins we and others have committed that keep as the consecrated slaves of her Divine Son through her own Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart, especially by praying as many Rosaries each day as our state-in-life permits.
The following description of what it is to be a slave of Our Lord through Our Lady’s Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart can help us to bear the sufferings of these tumultuous times that God has ordained from all eternity for us to bear:
We live in perilous times; we are surrounded by dangers and temptations almost unparalleled in the history of the world. The Church, the Spouse of Jesus seems to have followed the life of her Lord, and to have exemplified in herself its various stages. There has been the hidden life of the early ages of the church, followed by the more Public Life; then arose an increased devotion to the Blessed Sacrament, followed by the Agony in the garden; and we seem to be now bordering on the times when the church will mirage, will reflect, will, in fact, mystically reproduce the crucifixion of her Divine Head and Master. We may draw out this parallel more clearly by glancing at the rise of the Religious Orders which spring up from age to age in the Church, and whose members, as more perfect member of the church, are bound to represent more closely the life of Our Lord. We see the Hidden Life of Jesus in the Fathers of the Desert, and in the contemplatives of the early ages of the Church. They are followed by the more active Orders of the Dominicans, Franciscans and Jesuits, who exemplified the Public Life of Our Lord, the time when “He went about preaching everywhere and doing good.” Religious Orders followed devoted to the Blessed Sacrament. Convents arose, whose inmates night and day watch before the adorable Mystery of the Altar praising and thanking Jesus for this His greatest Invention of Love. The last Order established in our own times, and a yet but little known, is a strict, contemplative Order; and its members consecrate themselves entirely to honour the Agony in the Garden.
These Orders do not rise and fall; they but continue the Life of Our Lord; they made up His Body, the Church. Thus, as I have said, the Church appears to be reaching the time when she will be mystically crucified with her Lord. The powers of darkness are evidently allowed a strange power of temptation: “it is their hour.” Even many of Our Lord's own have fallen away. Throughout the Church there is unusual distress of soul and body. You who read this may have thought your trials peculiar to yourself: but you are mistaken. Your neighbor suffers still more perhaps than you, though you know it not. He is sorely tempted and tried; and he, too, thinks his grief peculiar to himself. Well for those who was watching! Well for those who are assiduous in obtaining the graces mother Church offers them. There will not be a brace too much given them, for “Satan will deceive, if possible, even the elect”: Well for those who are watching! Morning and night we need the sweet voice of Jesus to repeat to us the warning words the loving anxiety of His Heart prompted Him to utter: “Watch and pray.” “Watch and pray.” I do not write to alarm you; it is to forewarn you. You have wondered, perhaps, when you have heard of the falling away from the church of even the very good. You have sorrowed, perhaps, over some sad instance, it may be in your own family or community, of some unhappy soul for who the temptations of the age have been too strong. Yes, we have wondered at it. We are thoughtless and careless. We do not fear for others till we see them fall: but we are not wise. Did not our dear Lord “fear” for us? We should be wiser, if we did FEAR more and wonder less. “I never wonder at the fall of anyone” were the remarkable words I have had said to myself by one experienced, by one who had gone through numberless trials and temptations. We see that the Church is visibly afflicted, that the powers of hell are leagued more strongly than ever against her. We cannot but see it. It is visible to our eyes but the interiour conflict, the attacks of Satan against the individual soul, are not so visible, through they are far fiercer and more disastrous than the open attacks made by the emissaries of Satan against the Church. The one is but a figure of the other. Why have I written this? Forewarned is forearmed. If you have intelligence of a threatened danger you will make preparation to defend yourself against it. Now you cannot wish for yourself any good (real good) that God does not wish for you: therefore His Divine Province has been beforehand, and provided you with a most powerful means of help. It would not be like God to allow us to be unusually tempted, to subject us to great conflicts, without likewise providing us with a far counterbalancing assistance.
It is not my present purpose to show this conduct of God through the history of the Church. I wish simply to put before you now the special assistance needed at the present time, to enable us to fight successfully the battle which, whether we will or not, we must engage in if we would be saved. That then must we do? What special assistance do we need? Before answering I will ask you a question. At the time of the Passion of Our Lord, – that most fearful time of the dominion of Satan, when he was allowed a power he will never be allowed again (though, as I have said, in the Church has already commenced that season of persecution, trial and temptation, in which she will in herself represent again the Passion of Our Lord) – at that memorable time, who, I ask you, were the faithful ones that continued with Our Lord to the end? In that time of general temptation, when even Peter denied the Mster he loved so well, who were the happy ones (blessed with a special happiness for all eternity for their faithfulness in that terrible hour), who did not abandon their Lord when He for their sakes was seemingly abandoned even by His Heavenly Father? Who hoped and trusted in Him when others despaired? Who, though weeping, adored, whilst the world around scoffed and mocked? Who were they, and whence had they the strength to stand when other fell? Who were they? Weigh well the answer. Those who remained in the company of Mary. Whence had they this great grace? From her all-powerful intercession. As it was then so will it be again: and it will be well for us to think this earnestly, seriously: not carelessly, but with thought and prayer. You will say: But have we not already great devotion to our Lady? Do we not all love her? Again before answering, I will question you. Had not St. Peter devotion to our Lady? Did he not love her, as likewise the other apostles? Yes, O yes; but St. John, who had learnt from the Heart of his Master, the love most pleasing to It, also learnt the devotion most pleasing to the Maternal Heart of Mary, the devotion most efficacious to himself. It was a child's devotion to its mother. On the cross Our Lord but proclaimed and cemented what had been before. Therefore, in the time of trial St, John sought the company of his Mother according to the revelations of the Saints returning to her house broken-hearted with the account of what had happened to Jesus. It was in her company the St. John and the holy women walked the weary way to Calvary.
Still you may reply, devotion to Mary is o new assistance, no new devotion in the Church: it has ever been. True; but, like the devotion to the Sacred Heart, the devotion to our Blessed Lady that God (to use the words of Father Faber) is now pressing for, was a devotion known and practiced to the full by Saints: and those in all future ages who enter this “Path of Mary” and continue therein will be saints, and eminent ones, too. What then is this seemingly new devotion? You naturally ask, and the answer may be given in few words. It is the devotion practised by Our Lord, Himself. All who ware serving God in His holy Church have devotion to our Blessed Lady. There can be no doubt upon that point: but it is not such as God would have it to be. The revelations of the Saints and the writings of holy men both declare that it is God's Wish and Will for a vast increase of devotion amongst His people to His holy and Immaculate Mother; (to use again the words of Father Faber) “a greater, wider, stronger, quite another devotion.” The Eternal Father, speaking from His high throne said of Jesus. “This is My Beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased, hear ye Him.” Our Lord Himself speaks to us to the end of time, saying: “I have given you an example, that as I have done you should do also.” What is the first thing of which Jesus gives us an example that we may follow and imitate? It is the very devotion that I am now asking you, if you love your own soul, if you love the souls of others, if you love to please our Lady, if you love to please and give glory to god, I am now asking you to adopt. To explain. In the Bosom of the Eternal Father, in the embrace of the Holy Spirit, the Word, the only Son of God, dwelt from all eternity in unutterable peace, tranquility and blissful repose. From that haven of happiness and joy the Eternal Word looked upon and loved about all His created works, the Immaculate Virgin Heart of Mary. The Son of God then gave Himself to Mary, and became Her Son. He, the Second Person of the blessed Trinity, drew His Mortal Life, His Precious Blood, from the pure Heart of Mary, who, by the power of the Holy Spirit, thenceforth shone with the double lustre of of Virgin and Mother; and the Son of God, now Son of Mary too, lay tranquil and happy in her peaceful womb, depended wholly upon her lived by every breath she drew. Here is example for us. Here is what I would have you to do. I would have you, after the example of Jesus, give yourself entirely to Mary. I would have you born again by her. I would have you make, after a fitting preparation for so solemn an act, and with the advice of those who guide you made an entire consecration to her of all the spiritual and temporal possession, you now have, or may have in the future. It may be said, without the lightest hesitation, that if you thus, after the example of Jesus, give yourself to Mary, she will in return give you the power to give a new life to Jesus. He will be born and live within you, so that henceforth you may say: “I live now, not I, but it is Christ liveth in me.” The Eternal Word will be spiritually conceived in you; therefore will God the Father, bending over you, encompass you with jubilee, and pour forth upon you His Holy Spirit.
When Nicodemus came to Jesus, and was instructed by him in the new birth that must take place to enable a man to enter heaven, the regeneration, the new birth of Baptism, Nicodemus understood not the word that was spoken to him. You who understand that new spiritual birth may yet be like Nicodemus, and not understand what I now say, unless you beg the light of the Holy Spirit. I would have you renew your spiritual birth of Baptism, renew the vows you then made, and be born again in Mary. Make your vows with full consciousness of your act, and thereby be born to a new life of grace and holiness by Mary. “Homo et homo natus est in ea.” “This man and that man is born in her.” In a remarkable French work, written by a devoted servant of God, some hundred years ago, a beautiful explanation may be found in these words. “According to the explanation of some of the Fathers, the first man that is born in Mary is the Man of God, Jesus Christ; the second is a mere man, the child of God and Mary by adoption. If Jesus Christ, the Head of men, is born in her, the predestinate, who are the members of that Head, ought also to be born in her by a necessary consequence. One and the same mother does not bring forth into the world the head without the member, not the members without the head: for this would be a monster of nature; so in like manner, in the order of grace, the Head and the members are born of one and the same Mother; and if a member of the mystical Body of Jesus Christ, that is to say, one of the predestinate, was born of any other mother than Mary, who has produced the Head, he would be simply a monster in the order of grace. St. Augustine affirms that all the predestinate, in order to be conformer to the image of the Son of God, are in the world hidden in the womb of the most holy virgin were they are guarded, nourished, brought up and made to grow by that great Mother until she has brought them forth to glory after death. God the Son wishes to form Himself, and, so to speak to incarnate Himself every day, by His dear Mother, in His member.”
The devotion I am advocating, then, is a necessary consequence of this theological view. If our union with Mary is so close, by reason of our union with Jesus, let us correspond with the union thus formed by God Himself, and deliver ourselves to Mary, to depend upon her, and live by her spirit; that her thoughts and actions may influence us, as the thoughts and actions may influence us, as the thoughts and actions of a mother influence the child within her womb, influencing –as we know the mother's disposition do – the character of her child. This, then, is what I ask you to do to be born again. To be born, not this time in sin, but in innocence: not unconsciously, as you were regenerated in the wonder-working Sacrament of Baptism; but of your own free will, renewing that grace of that heavenly birth, by consciously repeating your Baptismal vows, and adding thereto a fourth vow or offering, by which your deliver your body and soul, your earthly possessions, your spiritual treasures of time and eternity, to Mary. This is not a light thing, I ask you to do. If, by the light of God's Holy Spirit, you can see the beauty of this “Path of Mary,” and enter it, you will not be surprised to find that when I use the words “a new birth,” I do not exaggerate. You will hardly know yourself when some time after having advanced in the “Path of Mary,” you look back at what you were when you entered it. To use the words of F. Faber, it will cause a “transformation” in you soul. Strengthened by the milk of Mary, the Mother of holy hope, you will find yourself walking with an entirely new spirit. So many graces are spread about this path, such wonderful assistances meet you at every step, that they seem more like the interpositions of Divine Providence that we read of in the Lives of the Saints; and filled with the new spirit of love and liberty you have imbibed from Mary, you will find yourself walking buoyantly, singing “Magnificats” on you way, praising God 'who has done such great things for you,” wondering as you look back at your former life before you had entered into this “Immaculate Way of Mary,” remembering how then you crept and dragged yourself with difficulty along; whereas j=now you rather run than walk, and when tired, almost feel your mother's arms folding you to rest on her breast. May she invite you to enter where she is so powerful, where she is so mother-like, where we learn to lover her more and more with the love of Jesus!
There are times in our life, when touched by the grace of God, we sincerely desire to make a new beginning, to make a fresh start, to cast away the past and turn entirely to God. Behold, then, how can you better do so than by entering this Path of Mary, by beginning a new life in Mary? No matter what has been the past, no matter how sinful, by your new birth in Mary all will be forgotten and forgiven; for it is that sweet Mother's loving duty to daily wash the souls of her children from the stains of their sins by the salutary tears she bestows upon them – the tears of perfect contrition, the work of the Precious Blood. To Mary, “fount of life,” the fair fountain of the Precious Blood, is given the power to dispense the tears that purify the soul, and make it white as when the waters of baptism were first poured upon it. It is Mary's grand office to her children, a work the Immaculate Mother loves to do. She loves to wash her children in the Precious Blood of her Son by the tears of perfect contrition. The grace of perfect contrition is what all should desire and pray for. Mary knows well how beautiful it makes the soul and therefore desires and obtains that all her children should possess this great grace. Mary's children are very happy in its possession. It fills them with a great peace, knowing, as they do, that it is one of the greatest signs they can have that they are in the grace of God. When, however, they are thus cleansed and purified, Mary knows well that her children have need of a covering before they present themselves before the All Holy Go. What, then, does Mary do? She covers them with her own graces and virtues, and yet tar more with the merits of her Son. Thus, as a holy man has said of her, “All her domestics are clothed with double clothing.” Again, Mary's children are happy, because they have learnt from the Immaculate Mother such a hatred of sin and its malice that, with fallen Adam, they would be ready to hide themselves from the Presence of God if they had but their own justice wherewith to present themselves before Him in Whose sight the heavens are not pure: but they are clothed with double clothing, the merits of Jesus and Mary. They are ever very humble in the knowledge of their own nothingness and sinfulness, remembering that what makes them pleasing to God is not their own dispositions and good works, for they see in the light of God's Truth how very mean and selfish are their ordinary thought and words, how insignificant their best dispositions when put by the side of the dispositions of Jesus and Mary.
This humility possessed by Mary's own is especially dear to God, and they are cherished and caressed by god as the spoilt children of His Love. Yes, they are the spoilt children of Divine Love; but, to us a paradox, God knows they cannot be spoilt. To explain. God, because He is God, desires to give. It is the nature of God to desire to give. It is the nature of God to desire to give. Thus there are many souls on whom He longs to bestow His precious gifts and draw them nearer to Himself; but He knows that by doing so He would be doing them positive harm. They have not sufficient humility to receive great graces. They would think there must be something particularly pleasing in their nature to induce God thus to favour them. There would arise a vain complacency in themselvesand the graces bestowed upon them would be carelessly guarded and finally lost. With Mary's Own the case is very different. They are so settled in the knowledge of their own nothingness and unworthiness, that they are not anxious to think themselves worse than they are, as some mistaken though well-meaning people, who are striving to obtain this virtue, imagine they must do. No; Mary's Own know it is not possible to think themselves worse than they are. They see the general corruption of mankind, and know they are of the same sinful mass, and the sins committed in this fallen world make them know themselves. Every fresh crime they hear perpetrated is for them a fresh increase of humility in the thought that, but for the grace of God they would have committed the like.
Seeing what human nature is capable of makes them know of what they themselves are capable; and when they think that God the essential God, the essential Truth, sees not only what is, but what under every possible circumstance would be, He must therefore see the sins that they themselves under like circumstances would have committed. With this thought they hide themselves in the dispositions of the Immaculate Mother, who is all fair in the sight of God, in whom He sees no spot, and they present themselves to Jesus under cover of Mary.
They present themselves to the Eternal Father as Mary did (spotless and pure as she was herself), through the merits of Jesus. Thus, when they receive great gifts from God they attempt not to hide from themselves that they have received such gifts, as the mistaken people I have mentioned seem to think they must do. No! “they render to God the things that are God's” they turn to Mary with the “talent” entrusted to them. They know they will have to give an account of it; and they know likewise that of themselves they would probably spoil God's gift, make bad use of it, or perhaps lose it altogether; but having given all that they shall ever possess to Mary, they trust to her to show them how to use it; they deliver it to her keeping, who is named by the saints “the Treasure of the Lord.”
To copy from the French book of the Venerable Grignon de Montfort, I have before mentioned: “This great God has a most rich treasure, in which he has laid up all that He has of beauty, of splendour, of rarity, of preciousness, even to His own Son, and their immense treasure is none other than Mary.” God then gives His greatest gifts to Mary's own, because they give them to her, and He knows in her hands they will not be wasted. He gives them to Mary's Own, because He knows they will not attribute anything of His to themselves. In the midst of the greatest graces they remain simple and humble; they abide ever in truth. It is because of this humility, that is to say, this truthfulness, that they are so intensely loved by God. Thus despising themselves, Mary's Own seek the presence of Jesus, ever in the company of their Mother, feeling utterly unworthy to appear before Him in their own nakedness. They appear in His Presence, they speak to the Eternal Father as Mary did, as they learn from her to do likewise; they pray and worship God by Jesus in union with Mary. She, when on earth, would raise her pure spirit to its greatest height of love; and her act of love and adoration, great as it was, greater indeed than the love of seraphim, was not worship great enough for God. Many knew this well, and from the moment of her Conception of Jesus in her womb her worship was lost in the worship Jesus offered His Eternal Father. He own adoration sank into insignificance by the side of His supreme worship, the most perfect adoration then for the first time offered to the Majesty of the Ever Blessed Trinity. This was Mary's constant practice. When Jesus was born their mortal lives separated, but the union of soul never did. What the Holy Spirit of God had joined together nothing ever sundered. (Convent of the Maternal Heart of Mary, The Path of Mary: “All for Mary”; hence, “All for Jesus,” published by The Little Company of Mary, Chicago, Illinois, 1878, pp. 13-34.)
Every Rosary we pray can help plant a seed or two to help bring this about. We may not see the fruits of our efforts with our own eyes. We can, however, have confidence in Our Lady's Fatima Message that her Immaculate Heart will triumph in the end and that our own Rosaries of reparation will indeed help to convert sinners as we seek to make reparation for our own sins and those of the whole world.
Fly unto the patronage of Our Lady, she who is the Spouse of God the Holy Ghost, and do not be disturbed. Indeed, she herself told us not to let any vexation disturb us, and that includes even the likes of Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Barack Hussein Obama/Barry Soetoro, Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton, Donald John Trump, and all other naturalists in public life. We must be calm in the storms that beset us, both ecclesiastically and civilly. The words of Our Lady to Juan Diego on Tepeyac Hill are as relevant now as they were in 1531:
Know for certain that I am the perfect and perpetual Virgin Mary, Mother of the True God. . . . Here I will show and offer my love, my compassion, my help and my protection to the people. I am your merciful Mother, the Mother of all those who love me, of those who cry to me, of those who have confidence in me. Here I will hear their weeping and their sorrows and will remedy and alleviate their suffering, necessities and misfortunes. . . . Listen and let it penetrate into your heart. . . . Do not be troubled or weighed down with grief. So do not fear any illness or vexation, anxiety or pain. Am I not here who am your Mother? Are you not under my shadow and protection? Am I not your fountain of life? Are you not in the folds of my mantle? In the crossing of my arms? Is there anything else that you need?
As we remain calm in the midst of the storms as we enfold ourselves in the crossing of Our Lady's arms, we should also remember this injunction of Pope Pius XI, contained in Quas Primas, December 11, 1925:
We firmly hope, however, that the feast of the Kingship of Christ, which in future will be yearly observed, may hasten the return of society to our loving Savior.It would be the duty of Catholics to do all they can to bring about this happy result. Many of these, however, have neither the station in society nor the authority which should belong to those who bear the torch of truth. This state of things may perhaps be attributed to a certain slowness and timidity in good people, who are reluctant to engage in conflict or oppose but a weak resistance; thus the enemies of the Church become bolder in their attacks. But if the faithful were generally to understand that it behooves them ever to fight courageously under the banner of Christ their King, then, fired with apostolic zeal, they would strive to win over to their Lord those hearts that are bitter and estranged from him, and would valiantly defend his rights.
Moreover, the annual and universal celebration of the feast of the Kingship of Christ will draw attention to the evils which anticlericalism has brought upon society in drawing men away from Christ, and will also do much to remedy them. While nations insult the beloved name of our Redeemer by suppressing all mention of it in their conferences and parliaments, we must all the more loudly proclaim his kingly dignity and power, all the more universally affirm his rights. (Pope Pius XI, Quas Primas, December 11, 1925.)
May we pray to Our Lady for the day the likes of the Antichrists in the civil government and their comrades in the counterfeit church of conciliarism will be be vanquished by her the Triumph of her Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart in complete fulfillment of her Fatima Message.
In the meantime, though, we must bear our sufferings and to be grateful for each of them as it is truly a privilege to live in these times so as to bear a witness to Christ the King, not to naturalism and its needless agitation, as His consecrated slaves through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Viva Cristo Rey! Vivat Christus Rex!
Isn't it time to pray a Rosary now?
Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us!
Saint Joseph, pray for us.
Saints Peter and Paul, pray for us.
Saint John the Baptist, pray for us.
Saint John the Evangelist, pray for us.
Saint James the Greater, pray for us.
Saint Michael the Archangel, pray for us.
Saint Gabriel the Archangel, pray for us.
Saint Raphael the Archangel, pray for us.
Saints Joachim and Anne, pray for us.
Saints Caspar, Melchior, and Balthasar, pray for us.
Saint Ubaldus (whose feast is not commemorted today, Whit Monday), pray for us.
Material From "No Pot O'Gold At The End of This Rainbow, August 16, 2011
Much has been made of the news that the pro-abortion, pro-perversity, pro-nanny-state, self-described "billionaire playboy" and otherwise all around reprobate, Michael Rubens Bloomberg, has mandated classroom instruction in matters pertaining to the Sixth and Ninth Commandments for all students between eleven and eighteen years of age whose parents have had the great misfortune to entrust their "education" to the concentration camps known as public schools. Part of this program, which includes an "opt out" provision for students whose parents do not want them exposed to discussion of "birth control methods," but not from its parts, will include discussions of the bill passed by the New York State Legislature that was signed into law by its champion, the pro-abortion, pro-perversity public sinner Governor of the State of New York, Andrew Mark Cuomo, that "legalized" "marriage" between persons of the same gender (see Memo To Howard Hubbard: Public Scandal Is Never A Private Matter,Perverting the Month of the Most Sacred Heart, To Do The Will Of The People, Not Of God, and Still Little Word About God And His Law, None About His Justice or His Wrath).
Michael Rubens Bloomberg, a Talmudist of the "reform" variety who goes to the synagogue only on rare occasions to engage in what is devil worship in actual point of fact, is a real little "caesar" worthy of the title character in Edward G. Robinson's in the 1931 motion picture, Little Caesar.
Here is a little reprise about the background of this nefarious agent of social evil who is wrapped in what are, objectively speaking, all manner of personal evils.
Michael Bloomberg was once sued by a female employee of his Bloomberg financial and media conglomerate for harassment when he responded as follows upon learning she was expecting a child, "Kill it! Kill it!" (See New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg Testifies in Pregnancy Discrimination Case .) This episode was even too much for the pro-abort protege of Ralph Nader, Mark Green, who brought it up in a campaign advertisement when running as the Democrat Party nominee for Mayor of the City of New York, New York, in 2001 against Bloomberg, who had the endorsement of Republican Party even though he had been a lifelong Democrat until earlier that year and declared himself in 2008 to be an "independent." One of the first things that Michael Bloomberg attempted to do as Mayor of the City of New York in 2002 was to impose mandatory training in methods of surgical baby-killing in all of the obstetrics/gynecological residency programs in all of the city's public hospitals, permitting no one to opt out of the program as a matter of conscience (see Kathryn Jean Lopez on Med Students and Abortion).
Bloomberg, as is well known, is also an anti-smoking fascist who has campaign vigorously as the quintessential food nazi to ban transfat cooking oil in restaurants, trying also to ban salt shakers from the tables of restaurants, believe it or not. Sure, those who commit what are Mortal Sins in the objective order of things in their own lives and who promote such sins under cover of the civil law in the name of "human rights" have an inner drive, whether or not they realize it, to "prove" to themselves and to the world that they are "good" and "moral" human beings who have our bodily concerns so much at heart that they can seek to impose under the cover of the civil law what they "know" is best for us even though we are too dumb to recognize this on our own.
There is little that is actually new about Mayor Bloomberg's latest foray into what he thinks is social progressivism in the name of "protecting" children because they are, after all, "gonna do it anyway" (see Forty-Three Years After Humanae Vitae, Always Trying To Find A Way and Planting Seeds of Revolutionary Change). The only real difference between this new mandate is that students will taught how to use a certain prophylactic in order to engage in natural vice against purity without "fear" of pregnancy and to engage in both natural and unnatural vice without "fear" of contracting diseases that are transmitted almost entirely, if not exclusively, by unchaste behavior, admitting that those who are so infected can pass such diseases to others in several other ways.
It was in the early-1990s that the members of the New York City Board of Education held hearings on two of then New York City Schools Chancellor Joseph Fernandez's proposal to propagandize in behalf of his corruption of the innocence and purity of children.
The first program involved a scheme, called the "SAFE" Plan, proposed in 1990, involved the distribution of a certain the prophylactic device upon the request of students and without parental knowledge or consent. This generated a storm of controversy:
The very qualities that had made Fernandez such a promising leader, however, proved his undoing. Within a year of becoming chancellor, he introduced a plan to distribute [prophylactics] in the city’s high schools. For reasons known only to him, he decided to dispense with the niceties of private, conciliatory discussions on such a delicate issue; some central board members first heard about the plan when journalists called them to ask for their statements. Still, in February 1991, the measure was passed after a bitter debate, but only by a 4-to-3 vote. Queens representative Carol Gresser, a mother and one-time PTA president who had opposed the [prophylactic] distribution plan, proposed instituting a parental opt-out clause similar to the ones now in place in other urban schools around the country. It appeared at first that Fernandez was willing to live with this, but at the last minute both the mayor and the chancellor brought pressure on Westina Matthews, a mayoral appointee, and Ninfa Segarra, the wavering Bronx representative, to oppose the opt-out provision. In September 1991 it was defeated, again by a 4-to-3 vote.
According to conventional wisdom, the 4-to-3 breakdown was just about writ in cement. The four members in the majority—two blacks, mayoral appointees Matthews and Carl McCall, and two Hispanics, Segarra and Manhattan representative Luis Reyes—were thought to be a reliable voting bloc. The three dissenters, representing Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island, were assumed to be effectively powerless. With Mayor Dinkins’s office whispering in one ear and the newspapers whispering in the other, Fernandez was able to treat the minority as a mere nuisance, out of touch with the enlightened and progressive social programs that were about to become the focus of his tenure. When angry demonstrators began to appear in front of 110 Livingston [Street, in the Borough of Brooklyn] carrying signs reading “Jews Say No,” “Muslims Say No,” and “Christians Say No,” almost everyone in the bureaucracy and on the metro desks shrugged them off as religious extremists, hardly worth noting. (The Futile Crusade.)
The "SAFE" Plan was ultimately ruled unconstitutional by an Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme (the lowest court in the New York State court system) in the 1993 case of Alfonso v. Fernandez 606 N.Y.S. 259 (N.Y. Sup. Ct. 1993).
Joe Fernandez, however, plugged right along, proposing an "AIDS education" program in 1992 that was to involve instructing fourth graders in the use of the prophylactic in question and then by means of his so-called "Rainbow Curriculum" in 1993 to seek to "educate" students about the "alternative lifestyles. Included in this curriculum were such books as Heather Has Two Mommies and Daddy's Roommate:
As the furor over the Rainbow Curriculum intensified, Fernandez fought his battle, not as an educator concerned with the delicate relationship between schools and families, but as a crusader who branded his detractors as virulent enemies of a great cause. His supporters first tried painting the Catholic Church as the central command of his opponents, a task made feasible by the Catholic makeup of the most vocally rebellious local board, District 24 in Queens, and by the press’s convenient soft-pedaling of the objections of other, less homogenous boards. Fernandez accused his opponents of a “malicious, highly organized campaign to distort [the curriculum’s] contents.” Days after this first shrouded reference to organized Catholic opposition, the Times published an article by Sam Roberts which attempted to confirm the chancellor’s view. But Roberts’s evidence was thin: Two lawyers who represented District 24 had on occasion worked for the Archdiocese, and John Cardinal O’Connor, who had praised Segarra for refusing to resign, was planning to officiate at her wedding. Fernandez’s accusations later took in a wider ken: “This is a highly organized group of the extreme religious right wing,” he told National Public Radio, perhaps alluding to the Latino Pentecostalists who had also passionately opposed the curriculum.
The truth is that the opposition to the Rainbow Curriculum—as well as to the AIDS education and [prophylactic] programs—was far broader than either Fernandez, the press, or most Manhattan politicians wanted to admit. Some of the opposition was based on religious belief, but it was hardly limited to Catholics: Jews, Muslims, and Christians of other denominations were also saying no. For a detailed article about Joseph Fernandez that is not for general reading as it contains descriptions of sort of programs that caused one of the board members, Ninfa Segarra, to change her mind and vote down the programs, please see The Futile Crusade.)
Thus, the "new" program is "different" only that it takes control for curricular decisions out of the hands of the members of the local school boards, who had the ability to decide which programs, if any, to use in their districts, for the past twenty years. With there being complete mayoral control over the city's public schools at this time, Nanny State Bloomberg can just dictate away. Many district school boards have chosen to have such graphic classroom instruction in matters pertaining to the Sixth and Ninth Commandments in the past twenty years while others have not. The whole business is now mandated by Michael Rubens Bloomberg.
Substantively, however, the differences between such programs in the past and now is simply a mind of degrees, not kind, as this rot, including the propagandizing in behalf of the lavender agendas that has included representatives of various "human rights" organizations speaking to students, has been robbing children of their innocence and purity for five decades now, admitting the antecedent roots of such instruction go back as far as 1929.
Such graphic classroom instruction in matters pertaining to the Sixth and Ninth Commandments begins today in some places as early as private and public pre-school programs as the natural psychological resistance of children to that which is age inappropriate is taught them in the most graphic terms and images imaginable. Obviously, the job of the "sex instructors" today is a lot easier because so many parents have received such "instruction" themselves and are fully immersed in the impure, indecent, vulgar "entertainment" that the Talmudists put out to destroy our souls, thinking nothing of exposing their children to this "entertainment" on a regular basis. That there is anyparental objection at all to the latest variation of the "rainbow curriculum" is nothing other than miraculous. Such parental objections, however, are not going to "win the day" now. Joseph Fernandez, who was fired shortly after a public outcry over his elitism and contempt for public opposition, has won the day over the course of time. Such must ever be the case in our world of naturalism.
It is not surprising at all that this is occurring in the New York City public schools system. No, the focus of this article is on the reaction of the conciliarists in the Archdiocese of New York to the new mandate:
NEW YORK, August 11, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The mayor of New York City plans to force all public middle and high school students to participate an explicit sex education regimen, a mandate the Archdiocese of New York is calling on Catholic parents to fight.
The New York Times reports that New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg will require that each student take a semester of sexual education in either 6th or 7th grade, and again in 9th or 10th grade in both middle school and high school.
The city government is promoting two curriculum programs, entitled HealthSmart and Reducing the Risk. The materials promote abstinence alongside lessons for contraceptive methods, such as how to put on a condom, and explicit information on vaginal, anal and oral sex.
“HIV in semen, blood or vaginal fluids passes between partners through the thin mucus membranes of the penis, vagina, rectum or mouth,” states one pamphletcalled “HIV Facts.”
In a pamphlet called “Birth Control Choices,” the company lists the “strong points” and “weak points” of various methods such as male and female condoms, hormonal contraceptives, and the temporary sterilizing drug Depo-provera. Abstinence is also listed as a form of “birth control” whose weak points include: “May feel pressured by friends, boyfriend or girlfriend.”
The Health Smart middle school curriculum also includes material aimed at “HIV, STD & pregnancy prevention.” The Times reports that parents will be allowed to opt children out of lessons on birth control methods.
Joseph Zwilling, Director of Communications for the Archdiocese, called the decision “troubling.”
“Parents have the right and the responsibility to be the first and primary educators of their children. This mandate by the city usurps that role, and allows the public school system to substitute its beliefs and values for those of the parents,” said Zwilling in a statement Wednesday.
Archdiocesan attorney Edward Mechmann told the New York Times that he would encourage parents to exercise the opt-out option for explicit material and to inspect lesson contents.
Brooklyn bishop Nicholas DiMarzio also said he would work with Catholic families to shore up parents’ rights against the mandate, according to the Times.
Following a tumultuous campaign, New York state legislators in June passed the same-sex “marriage” law that went into effect late last month. Weeks later, the New York Post reported that top city school officials were already planning on how to work the new marriage definition into the state’s official school curriculum.
“We have to do it. We have to think of where to do it,” said New York State Board of Regent Chancellor Merryl Tisch. “We have to think of, how we do discuss gay marriage thoughtfully, respectfully and sensitively. There has to be age-appropriateness.”
Even summer vacation has proved no impediment: city summer school teachers have already begun discussing homosexual “marriage” In their civics classes, the Post reported. (New York to implement mandatory sex ed in all public middle; see also New York Archdiocese Criticizes Sex-Ed Mandate.)
This is all very nice. One would even think the Archdiocese of New York was defending parental rights and the innocence and purity of children by protesting against the Michael Rubens Bloomberg mandate.
One would be thinking erroneously to come to such a conclusion.
Permit me to introduce you to the disgusting, impure and indecent classroom "instruction" programs in matters pertaining to the Sixth and Ninth Commandment found in various nooks and crannies of the website of the Archdiocese of New York. Each of these programs are just as bad as the ones being mandate by the City of New York and each one is just as injurious to the temporal and eternal welfare of the young:
1) There is a link in the Family Life/Respect Life office's website for 2010 conference held by the "Theology of the Body" Institute (I supposed updating the site now and again is not possible).
07/28/2010 - 7/30/2010 The National Theology of the Body Congress
What's wrong with the "theology of the body"?
Well, please read the following IF you desire the information that is not really necessary to have. All you need to know is that the some of the old "pioneers" in moral theology in the 1950s and the 1960s would have been pleased to see the "frontiers" of the ends of marriage pushed out more and more: The Phenomenology of Dietrich von Hildebrand and His Novel Teaching on Marriage and Theology of the Body, a book on the subject that was written by Mrs. Randy Engel and is available for purchase on her website.
2) The Archdiocese of New York's "safe environment" website lists the following nefarious programs to keep children "safe" from clerical predators:
Noting the sensitive nature of the material covered, those interested in a critique of these naturalist exercises in breaking down a child's psychological resistance to inappropriate material that entices them into lives of sin, please read the following: “Catholic Medical Association Repudiates Child Safety” Programs, although there are other "critiques" available online that suffer from even more of the conciliar confusion to be found the report of the Catholic Medical Association, which accepts Karol Wojtyla/John Paul II's letter on the "truth and meaning of human sexuality," as they attempt to justify their quite correct opposition to these programs by using their "pope's" guidelines, which conflict with these words of Pope Pius XI as found in Divini Illius Magistri, December 29, 1929:
65. Another very grave danger is that naturalism which nowadays invades the field of education in that most delicate matter of purity of morals. Far too common is the error of those who with dangerous assurance and under an ugly term propagate a so-called sex-education, falsely imagining they can forearm youths against the dangers of sensuality by means purely natural, such as a foolhardy initiation and precautionary instruction for all indiscriminately, even in public; and, worse still, by exposing them at an early age to the occasions, in order to accustom them, so it is argued, and as it were to harden them against such dangers.
66. Such persons grievously err in refusing to recognize the inborn weakness of human nature, and the law of which the Apostle speaks, fighting against the law of the mind; and also in ignoring the experience of facts, from which it is clear that, particularly in young people, evil practices are the effect not so much of ignorance of intellect as of weakness of a will exposed to dangerous occasions, and unsupported by the means of grace.
67. In this extremely delicate matter, if, all things considered, some private instruction is found necessary and opportune, from those who hold from God the commission to teach and who have the grace of state, every precaution must be taken. Such precautions are well known in traditional Christian education, and are adequately described by Antoniano cited above, when he says:
Such is our misery and inclination to sin, that often in the very things considered to be remedies against sin, we find occasions for and inducements to sin itself. Hence it is of the highest importance that a good father, while discussing with his son a matter so delicate, should be well on his guard and not descend to details, nor refer to the various ways in which this infernal hydra destroys with its poison so large a portion of the world; otherwise it may happen that instead of extinguishing this fire, he unwittingly stirs or kindles it in the simple and tender heart of the child. Speaking generally, during the period of childhood it suffices to employ those remedies which produce the double effect of opening the door to the virtue of purity and closing the door upon vice. (Pope Pius XI, Divini Illius Magistri, December 31, 1929.)
How do children learn to grow in purity? By being taught to love God with their whole hearts, minds, bodies, souls, and strength. By eliminating, as far as is humanly possible, the incentives to sin as found in popular culture (eliminating the television as a starting point, of course), refusing to expose children to the near occasions of sin represented by immodestly dressed relatives or friends, refusing to permit them to associate with playmates whose innocence and purity have been undermined by the culture and by "education" programs that serve in public schools to be instruments of promoting sin and that serve in conciliar schools as the means of justifying it. By keeping our children close to the Sacraments, which means, of course, getting them out of the counterfeit church of conciliarism, and making sure that the family Rosary is prayed every day with fervor and devotion.
Do we need "theft instruction" in order to keep our children from stealing. Do children, who are naturally curious, have to learn about the various forms of thievery available to them in order to know that it is wrong to violate the Seventh Commandment? Might such "theft instruction" actually serve as an incentive to the mischievous to steal?
The conciliar "popes" and their "bishops" have indeed undermined the Natural Law right of parents to educate their children as they have countenance the undermining of the innocence and purity of the young.
3) Other programs to be found on the Archdiocese of New York website include "Life Teen" and textbooks published by Harcourt Religion, such as its "Growing in Love" series of impure instruction manuals(successors of the horrific New Creation instruction manuals of the 1980s) that has been critique in various places, including: Author Criticizes Growing in Love and a report prepared by well-meaning parents in the Archdiocese of New Orleans, Growing in Love: A Critique. Readers can access these critiques, some of which are pretty graphic, all on their own. It is unfortunately the case that most of the parents who try to fight these programs from "within" the conciliar structures do not realize that the very thing they are fighting is what the conciliar "popes" want taught. They just can't fathom that this is the case. If it weren't, their "white knights" in Rome would come to the rescue. And yet they languish in the trenches wondering when "help" will arrive. I know. I was there for a long time in those trenches. I know. This battle is over. Done with. Through.
My point is this: the innocence and purity of children is just as much under attack in the schools and "religious education" programs administered by the conciliar revolutionaries as they are in the concentration camps known as the New York City public schools. Catholic schools in their conciliar captivity have been engaging in such instruction since a protege of the morally, doctrinally and liturgically corrupt Father Joseph Bernardin, Father James T. McHugh of the Archdiocese of New York began working with Mary Calderone of S.I.E.C.U.S, and organization founded to promote such education (see Mrs. Randy Engel, The McHugh Chronicles and her definitive Sex Education - The Final Plague. Mrs. Engel has also written a pretty graphic review of the Growing in Love series, which she terms, quite rightly, as Growing in Filth: The Sodimization of Innocence).
None of this can come form the Catholic Church. Not one wretched bit of it. The well-meaning parents fighting these programs in the conciliar schools simply do not realize that the fact that such programs exist at all is a sign of apostasy and betrayal that should cause them to consider the true state of Church Militant on earth at this time.
Lost on the caesars of the nanny state and the revolutionaries of the conciliar church is the simple reality that all of this "instruction" has contributed to an in increase in promiscuous behavior in violation of the Sixth and Ninth Commandments, the spread of various diseases, surgical abortions, single-family parents and a sense of hopelessness among so many students that an epidemic of teen suicides is now upon us. The spread of aberrant behavior and social deviation among so many teens and young adults today precisely because of this "instruction" and the sins that it has made more possible, noting also, of course, the undeniable role played by the paucity of Sanctifying and Actual Graces in the world as a result of the sacramental barrenness of the counterfeit church of conciliarism. More and more human beings must descend to barbarism when the world is unsupported by the graces that should be there to help men to see themselves and everything in their lives clearly the truths of the true Faith with the supernatural eyes of the soul.
No, the "professional educators" of the false church and the civil state assure us that we need more of what has failed. It is not the premise that is wrong, it is the failure to do more of what the false premise has shown itself to worsen rather than cure, as must be the case with any program based in naturalism and upon complete rejection of and contempt for the binding precepts of the Divine Positive Law and the Natural Law as they have been entrusted by Our Blessed Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
This is pure Lockean liberalism, something that I have explained on many occasions in the past, that is, the belief that we can "solve" problems by our own unaided powers, and that, rather examining the false premises that have worsened a problem or a set of problems, the reasonable individual needs to do "more" of what has been shown to have failed already.
In other words, this is the equivalent of Barack Hussein Obama's saying that we need to have another "economic stimulus" to grow the economy when the first two such programs have resulted in the squandering of hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars and the worsening of an economic situation. No, we need another stimulus package to "create jobs" even though the last two have been complete failures. It's the same thing with classroom instruction in matters pertaining to the Sixth and Ninth Commandments.
Well, unfortunately for the revolutionaries of the civil state and the counterfeit church of conciliarism, there is no pot o'gold at the end of their rainbow curricula. Our Blessed Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ taught us very explicitly that those who lead the little ones astray are heading for a bad end:
 But he that shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea.  Woe to the world because of scandals. For it must needs be that scandals come: but nevertheless woe to that man by whom the scandal cometh. (Matthew 18: 6-7.)
A fearful judgment awaits each of us at the moment we die. Each one of our words and actions will be scrutinized with exactitude. We will see ourselves as we have been, not as we would like to think ourselves to have been while we were alive. Each of us, including those who have been and continue to be responsible for the undermining of the innocence and purity of the young, have a fearful judgment awaiting us, something that Saint Alphonsus de Liguori made very clear:
Beloved Christians, of all the goods of nature, of fortune, and of grace, which we have received from God, we are not the masters, neither can we dispose of them as we please; we are but the administrators of them; and therefore we should employ them according to the will of God, who is our Lord. Hence, at the hour of death, we must render a strict account of them to Jesus Christ, our Judge. "For we must all be manifested before the judgment seat of Christ, that every one may receive the 'proper things of the body as he hath done, whether it be good or evil"--II. Cor., v. 10. This is the precise meaning of that "give an account of thy stewardship", in the gospel of this day. "You are not," says St. Bonaventure, in his comment on these words, "a master, but a steward over the things committed to you; and therefore you are to render an account of them". I will place before your eyes to-day, the rigour of this judgment, which shall be passed on each of us on the last day of our life. Let us consider the terror of the soul, first, when she shall be presented to the Judge; secondly, when she shall be examined; and thirdly; when she shall be condemned.
First point. Terror of the souls when she shall be presented to the Judge.
1. "It is appointed unto men once to die, and, after this, the judgment"--Heb., ix. 27. It is of faith that we shall die, and that, after death, a judgment shall be passed on all the actions of our life. Now, what shall be the terror of each of us, when we shall be at the point of death, and shall have before our eyes the judgment which must take place the very moment the soul departs from the body? Then shall be decided our doom to eternal life, or to eternal death. At the time of the passage of their souls from this life to eternity, the sight of their past sins, the rigour of God's judgment, and the uncertainty of their eternal salvation, have made the saints tremble. St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi trembled in her sickness, through the fear of judgment; and to her confessor, when he endeavoured to give her courage, she said, Ah, father, it is a terrible thin to appear before Christ in judgment. After spending many years in penance in the desert, St. Agatho trembled at the hour of death, and said: What shall become of me when I shall be judged? The venerable Father Louis de Ponte was seized with such a fit of trembling at the thought of the account which he should render to God, that he shook the room in which he lay. The thought of judgment inspired the venerable Juvenal Ancina, Priest of the Oratory, and afterwards the Bishop of Saluzzo, with the determination to leave the world. Hearing the Dies Irae sung, and considering the terror of the souls when presented before Jesus Christ, the Judge, he took, and afterwards executed, the resolution of giving himself entirely to God.
2. It is the common opinion of theologians, that, at the very moment and in the very place in which the soul departs from the body, the divine tribunal is erected, the accusation is read, and the sentence is passed by Jesus Christ, the Judge. At this terrible tribunal each of us shall be presented, to give an account of all our thoughts, of all our words, and of all our actions. "For we must all be manifested before the judgment seat of Christ, that every one may receive the proper things of the body, according as he heath done, whether it be good or evil"--II. Cor., v. 10. When presented before an Earthly judge, criminals have been seen to fall into a cold sweat through fear. It is related of Piso, that, so great and insufferable was the confusion which he felt at the thought of appearing as a criminal before the senate, that he killed himself. How great is the pain of a vassal, or of a son, in appearing before an angry prince or an enraged father, to account for some crime which he has committed! Oh! how much greater shall be the pain and confusion of the soul in standing before Jesus Christ enraged against her for having despised him during her life! Speaking of judgment, St. Luke says, "Then they shall see the Son of Man"--Luke, xxi. 27. They shall see Jesus Christ as man, with the same wounds with which he ascended into Heaven. "Great joy of the beholders!" says Robert the Abbot, "great terror of those who are in expectation!" These wounds shall console the just, and shall terrify the wicked. In them sinners shall see the Redeemer's love for themselves, and their ingratitude to him.
3. "Who," says the Prophet Nahum, "can stand before the face of his indignation?--i. 6. How great, then, shall be the terror of a soul that finds himself in sin before this Judge, the first time she shall see him, and shall see him full of wrath! St. Basil says that she shall be tortured more by her shame and confusion than by the very fire of Hell. "Horridior quam ignis, erit udor". Philip the Second rebuked one of his domestics for having told a lie. "Is it thus", said the kin to him, "you deceive me?" The domestic, after having returned home, died of grief. The Scripture tells us, that when Joseph, reproved his brethren, saying, "I am Joseph, whom you sold", they were unable to answer for fear, and remained silent. "His brethren could not answer him, being struck with exceeding great fear"--Gen., xlv. 3.Now, what answer shall sinners make to Jesus Christ when he shall say to them: I am your Redeemer and your Judge, whom you have so much despised? Where shall the miserable beings fly, says St. Augustine, when they shall see an angry Judge above, Hell open below, on one side their own sins accusing them, and on the other devils dragging them to punishment, and their conscience burning them within? "Above shall be an enraged Judge; below a horrid chaos; on the right, sins accusing him; on the let, demons dragging him to punishment; within, a burning conscience. Whither shall a sinner, beset in this manner, fly?" Perhaps he will cry for mercy? But how, asks Eusebius Emissenus, can he dare to implore mercy, when he must first render an account of his contempt for the mercy which Jesus Christ had shown to him? "With what face will you who are to be first judged for contempt of mercy, ask for mercy?" But let us come to the rendering of the accounts.
Second point. Terror of the soul when she shall be examined.
4. As soon as the soul shall be presented before the tribunal of Jesus Christ, he will say to her: "Give an account of thy stewardship": render instantly an account of thy entire life. The Apostle tells us, that to be worthy of eternal glory, our lives must be found conformable to the life of Jesus Christ. "For whom he foreknew, he also predestinated to be made conformable to the image of his Son;...them he has also glorified"--Rom., viii.. 29, 30. Hence St. Peter has said, that in the judgment of Jesus Christ, the just man, who has observed the divine law, has pardoned enemies, has respected the saints, has practised chastity, meekness and other virtues, shall scarcely be saved. "The just man scarcely shall be saved." The Apostles adds: "Where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?"--I. Pet. iv., 18. What shall become of the vindictive and the unchaste, of blasphemers, and slanderers? What shall become of those whose entire life is opposed to the life of Jesus Christ?
5. In the first place, the Judge shall demand of sinners an account of all the blessings and graces which he bestowed upon them in order to bring them to salvation, and which they have rendered fruitless. He will demand an account of the years granted to them that they might serve God, and which they have spent in offending him. "He hat called against me the time"--Lam., i. 15. He will then demand an account of their sins. Sinners commit sins, and afterwards forget them; but Jesus Christ does not forget them: he keeps, as Job says, all our iniquities numbered, as it were in a bag. "Thou has sealed up my iniquities, as it were in a bag"--Job, xiv. 17. And he tells us that, on the day of accounts, he will take a lamp to scrutinize all the actions of our life. "And it shall come to pass at that time, that I will search Jerusalem with lamps"--Soph., i. 12. The lamp, says Mendoza on this passage, penetrates all the corners of the house--that is, God will discover all the defects of our conscience, great and small. According to St. Anselm, an account shall be demanded of every glance of the eyes. "Exigitur usque ad ictum oculi". And, according to St. Matthew, of every idle word. "Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it on the day of judgment"--Matt., xii. 36.
6. The Prophet Malachy says, that as gold is refined by taking away the dross, so on the day of judgment, all our actions shall be examined; and every defect which may be discovered shall be punished. "He shall purify the sons of Levi, and shall refine them as gold"--Mal. iii. 3. Even our justices--that is, our good words, confessions, communions, and prayers--shall be examined. "When I shall take a time, I will judge justices"--Ps., lxxiv. 3. But, if every glance, every idle word, and even good works, shall be judged, with what rigour shall immodest expressions, blasphemies, grievous detractions, theft, and sacrileges be judged? Alas! on that day every soul shall, as St. Jerome says, "see to her own confusion, all the evils which she has done. "videbit unusquisque quod fecit."
7. "Weight and balance are judgments of the Lord"--Prov., xvi. 11. In the balance of the Lord, a holy life and good works make the scale descend; but nobility, wealth, and science, have no weight. Hence, if found innocent, the peasant, the poor, and the ignorant, shall be rewarded. But the man of rank, of wealth, or or learning, if found guilty, shall be condemned."Thou art weighted in the balance", said Daniel to Balthassar, "and art found wanting"--Dan., v. 27. "Neither his gold, nor his wealth", says father Alvares, "but the king alone was weighed."
8. At the divine tribunal, the poor sinner shall see himself accused by the Devil, who, according to St. Augustine, "will recite the words of our profession, and will charge us before our face with all that we have done, will state the day and the hour in which we sinned"--Con. jud., tom. VI. He will recite the words of our profession; that is, he will enumerate the promises which we have made to God, and which we afterwards violated. He will charge us before our face; he will upbraid us with all our wicked deeds, pointing to the day and hour in which they were committed. And he will, as the same saint says, conclude his accusation by saying: "I have suffered neither stripes nor scourges for this man." Lord, I have suffered nothing for this ungrateful sinner, and to make himself my salve, he has turned his back on thee, who hast endured so much for his salvation. He, therefore, justly belongs to me. Even his angel-guardian will, according to Origen, come forward to accuse him, and will say" I have laboured so many years for his salvation; but he has despised all my admonitions. "Unusquisque angelorum perhibet testimonium, quot annis circa eum laboraverit sed ille monita sprevit"--hom., lxvi. Thus, even friends shall treat with contempt the guilty soul. "All her friends have despised her"--Lamen., i. 2. Her ver sins shall, says St. Bernard, accuse her. "And they shall say: You have made us; we are your work; we shall not desert you"--Lib., Medit., cap. ii. We are your offspring; we shall not leave you; we shall be your companions in Hell for all eternity.
9. Let us now examine the excuses which the sinner will be able to advance. He will say, that the evil inclinations of nature had drawn him to sin. But he shall be told that, if concupiscence impelled him to sins, it did not oblige him to commit them; and that, if he had recourse to God, he should have received from him grace to resist every temptation. For this purpose Jesus Christ has left us the sacraments; but, when we do not make use of them, we can complain only of ourselves. "But," says the Redeemer, "now they have no excuse for their sin"--John, xv. 22. To excuse himself, the sinner shall also say, that the Devil tempted him to sin. But, as St. Augustine says, "The enemy is bound like a dog in chains, and can bite only him who has united himself to him with a deadly security." The Devil can bark, but cannot bit, unless you adhere and listen to him. Hence the saint adds: " See how foolish is the man whom a dog loaded with chains bites". Perhaps he will advance his bad habits as an excuse; but this shall not stand; for the same St. Augustine says, that though it is difficult to resist the force of an evil habit, "if any one does not desert himself, he will conquer it with the divine assistance". If a man does not abandon himself to sin, and invokes God's aid, he will overcome evil habits. The Apostle tells us, that the Lord does not permit us to be tempted beyond our strength. "God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that which you are able."--I. Cor., x. 13.
10. "For what shall I do", said Job, "when God shall rise to judge me? and when he shall examine, what shall I answer him?"--Job., xxxi. 14. What answer shall the sinner give to Jesus Christ? How can he, who sees himself so clearly convicted, give an answer? He shall be covered with confusion, and shall remain silent, like the man found without the nuptial garment. "But he was silent"--Matt., xxii. 12. His very sins shall shut the sinner's mouth. "And all iniquity shall stop her mouth"--Ps., cvi. 42. There, says St. Thomas of Villanova, there shall be no intercessors, to whom the sinner can have recourse. "There, there is no opportunity of sinning; there, no intercessor, no friend, no father shall assist". Who shall then save you? Is it God? But how, asks St. Basil, can you expect salvation from him whom you have despised? "Who shall deliver you? Is it God, whom you have insulted?"--S. Bas., Or. 4, de Pen. Alas, the guilty soul that leaves this world in sin, is condemned by herself before the Judge pronounces sentences. Let us come to the sentence of the Judge.
Third point. Terror of the soul when she shall be condemned.
11. How great shall be the joy of a soul when, at death, she hears from Jesus Christ these sweet words: "Well done, good and faithful servant; because thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will place thee over many things. Enter into the joy of thy Lord"--Matt., xxv. 21. Equally great shall be the anguish and despair of a guilty soul, that shall see herself driven away by the Judge with the following words: "Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire"--verse 41. Oh! what a terrible thunderclap shall that sentence be to her! "O how frightfully", says the Carthusian, "shall that thunder resound!" Eusebius writes that, the terror of sinners at hearing their condemnation shall be so great, that, if they could, they would die again. "The wicked shall be seized with the terror at the sight of the Judge pronouncing sentence, that, if they were not immortal, they should die a second time" But, brethren, let us, before the termination of this sermon, make some reflections which will be profitable to us. St. Thomas of Villanova says, that some listen to discourses on the judgment and condemnation of the wicked, with as little concern as if they themselves were secure against these things, or as if the day of judgment were never to arrive for them. "Heu quam securi haec dicimus et audimus, quasi nos non tangeret haec sententia, aut quasi dies haec nunquam esset venturus!" Cone. i., de Jud. The saint then asks: Is it not great folly to entertain security in so perilous an affair? "Quae est ista stulta securitas in discrimine tanto?" There are some, says St. Augustine, who, though they live in sin, cannot imagine that God will send them to Hell. "Will God" they say, "really condemn us?" Brethren, adds the saint, do not speak thus. So many of the damned did not believe that they should be sent to Hell; but the end came, and, according to the threat of Ezechiel, they have been cast into that place of darkness. "The end is come, the end is come. . . and I will send my wrath upon thee, and I will judge thee"--Ezec., vii. 2, 3. Sinners, perhaps vengeance is at hand for you, and still you laugh and sleep in sin. Who will not tremble at the words of the Baptist, "for now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree, therefore, that doth not yield good fruit, shall be cut down and cast into the fire"?--Matt., iii. 10. He says, that every tree that does not bring forth good fruit, shall be cut down, and cast into the fire: and he promises that, with regard to the trees, which represent sinners, the axe is already laid to the roots--that is, the chastisement is at hand. Dearly beloved brethren, let us follow the counsel of the Holy Ghost--"Before judgment, prepare thee justice"--Eccl., xviii. 19. Let us adjust our accounts before the day of accounts. Let us seek God, now that we can find him; for the time shall come when we will wish, but shall not be able to find him. "you shall seek me and shall not find me"--John, vii. 36. "Before judgment," says St. Augustine, "the Judge can be appeased, but not in judgment". By a change of life, we can now appease the anger of Jesus Christ, and recover his grace; but when he shall judge, and find us in sin, he must execute justice, and we shall be lost. (Saint Alphonsus de Liguori, Sermon XXVII, Sermon for the Eighth Sunday after Pentecost, pp. 276-285.)
We have much reparation to make to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary for our sins and for those of the whole world. Much reparation to make. We might not save our souls. We might not have true and perfect contrition for our sins. We might not have the grace of Final Perseverance.
If we are honest with ourselves, we await a terrible judgment upon our souls, regardless of the one that those who have devised and implemented programs that have sought of their very diabolical nature will face for leading Our Lord's little ones astray. That having been noted, however, those who have devised and implemented the programs discussed in passing in this brief commentary can be assured that they do indeed face a terrible judgment of their very own if they do not repent and make reparation before they die as members of the Catholic Church.
With Our Lady as our sure guide and intercessor, may we indeed be ever earnest about making reparation for our own many sins, each of has contributed to the worsening of the state of the Church Militant here on earth and of the world-at-large. Once again, make no mistake about it: our own sins and our ingratitude and our lukewarmness have exacerbated, that is, worsened, the state of the Church Militant on earth. We cannot be content to wallow in spiritual mediocrity. We must accept whatever penances and humiliations that God chooses to send us so that we can give them back to His Most Sacred Heart through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of His Most Blessed Mother as her consecrated slaves, especially by means of praying as many Rosaries as our states-in-life permit.
Our Lady stands by the tomb of her Divine Son, Who has been buried mystically by the conciliarists' contempt for the truths that He has revealed exclusively through His Catholic Church and have been taught infallibly by her without any hint or shadow of change from Pentecost Sunday. We must keep her company at that tomb in our prayers, being ever willing to take on more penances and to renounce our own comfort and convenience and all attachment to human respect in order to help to usher in the day when the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary will make it possible for the enemies of her Divine Son in the modern world and in the grips of Modernism will be vanquished, permitting the restoration of all things in Christ the King as we honor her as our Immaculate Queen.